Wilderness Medicine and Safety
"1.21 Gigawatts!": The Real Facts about Lightning
- In July 2003, Rick and Lisa Goff were enjoying an idyllic afternoon with their three children.
They set up camp near the shore of Crystal Lake in the Uinta Mountains. As an early afternoon storm gathered
, the Goffs moved their lawn chairs under a tree for shelter...
The Dangers of Heat and Cold
- The human body's ideal operating temperature is 98.6°F. As warm-blooded creatures,
our bodies have a variety of mechanisms that maintain a core temperature very close to that number.
If you get too cold...
Dispelling the Snakebite Myth
- Over the years there have been many in-the-field remedies for snakebites. Most of these
therapies are as strange as our fear of snakes, and none of them work. Mostly, they increase
the harm that is already being done...
Encountering a Black Bear
- Black bears are secretive creatures, preferring the dense cover of forest. If you see one, count yourself
lucky. Black bears are the smallest of the three species found in North America...
Mountain Lions in Utah
- Mountain lions inhabit territory all across Utah. According to the Division of Wildlife Resources, the only
place in Utah they’re not found is in the salt flats west of the Great Salt Lake. Despite Utah’s large cougar
population, attacks on humans are rare here...
All Sorts of Stings
- The Southwest is home to over 30 species of scorpions, but only one is considered life-threatening.
Like many spiders, scorpions hide by day. At night, they prowl the desert floor looking for insects...
Learn a New Skill
How To See More Wildlife
- Spotting an animal in the backcountry adds an intangible element of
wildness to any outdoor experience. Unfortunately wild animals are
usually in the business of avoiding people. Still, there are a few things you can do to
increase your likelihood of spotting wildlife on your next trip...
Capture Top-notch Wilderness Landscapes
- It's depressingly easy to come home from a trip with a pile of bad landscape photos.
Even with superb scenery, random snapshots
all too often fail to capture the magic. The following tips are aimed at helping casual
shooters boost their panoramic prowess...